12 March 2012

Catching Up

Oh my.... life has just been whizzing past me. No time for e-mail, no time for blogging.... until today. I even wrote 5 notes....real SNAIL MAIL notes. Jack saw my stack of outgoing mail and asked, "Why didn't you just e-mail everyone, it's a lot cheaper!"
Well of course it is cheaper. But who doesn't enjoy going to the mailbox and finding REAL mail?!
It is so worth 45 cents!

For catching up:   Dr. Suess Day was so much fun. The kids just went nutzo when they realized they were allowed to KEEP the hats. Oh my. What fun.

This is the hallway where the kids get to "Hop on Pop", which is in one of the Dr. Seuss stories.
We get a donation of bubble wrap and they hop and pop all the way down.
I have to admit that I was the first to pop any bubbles. Yes, the superintendent and some board members and other staff were all at the end of the hallway waiting for the kids when I decided to reposition myself to take photos.
Uh huh. I stepped on the edge of the bubble wrap. It popped. I screamed and jumped and landed only to pop some more. I was hopping like I was barefooted on a hot fire.
At least everyone got a good laugh from the Senior Citizen hopping on the pop!

We had Thing 1 and Thing 2....

Classrooms were filled with volunteer readers and for one hour, kids were read to by volunteers.
This the theme "Read Across America" ! I believe we had 40 volunteers. What an amazing turnout for a school of 104 kids!
T
Cutting cakes was just one of my jobs.

These Thing 1's and Thing 2's were my designs. Kids loved making them.

We made sure we thanked our volunteers with signs and cards.

Even our school cook got in the spirit.

Stripes were definitely the order of the day. Hey, I even had the white hair to go with the red and white theme!!!

And what would the day be without GREEN EGGS AND HAM for lunch!?!

Then I took a break. I got a week off to attend a quilting retreat. I actually missed 24 hours because I wanted to be with the kids for the Dr. Seuss Day events. So on to the retreat.

I've never eaten so much food, snacked on so much chocolate, drank so much wine, laughed so much, hiked so many trails, and actually sewn or cut so much in all my life. It was so much fun and very productive. Even though I have to lose 6 pounds, it was so, so worth it!

We had our priorities straight. We started the mornings with champagne and orange juice. I don't even like o.j. but with champagne, it was something to look forward to! I'm not even going to tell you how many of these lined the window ledge by the time we had to pack up and leave!

A side trail took us over a bridge and through the woods.

I am quite proud to say I machine quilted this all except for the border. Another gal laid down some printed border tape and sewed the quilting in. It was pretty slick.

You can see my stitching in this enlargement. Okay for an amateur.

And finally, some of the projects I managed to do. I cut and pieced a quilt top. Then I cut all the pieces for another quilt. (For those of you who do not quilt, cutting is a major part of the time put into quilting.) I learned how to make these cute little pouches and the stuffed bunny. I need to put some features on his face then find a munchkin to give it to.

All in all, it has been a wonderful leave of absence!






1 comment:

Soggibottom said...

IF NOT A BUSY ONE !
Beautiful post Sandee :-) ALL OF IT. Especially the pic of you and the hat :-) X X X