09 August 2012

Melissa's Excellent Salsa

One of the best things about family gatherings is the food. My niece, Melissa made a salsa that both Jack and I thought was to DIE FOR!! After we got home, I called Melissa for her recipe. She was in the middle of a birthday party.... did I care? Nope... I made her take the time to give the recipe. Bless her sweet heart, she gave it to me!

Mmmmm.
I made a HUGE bowl of it on Saturday and by Sunday it was gone. Need I remind y'all that there are only two of us in this household?  So here's her recipe:

1 bunch of fresh cilantro - chopped
1 can black eyed peas (drained)
1 can corn (drained) - I used unsalted
1 ripe avocado
1 small onion diced (recipe called for green onion)
1½ cups tomato - diced
Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic - minced
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cumin
(I added lime juice and chili pepper for a bit more zest)

Okay, I have to confess: I made another batch of it since Sunday and it is gone as of today. We really enjoy this salsa. Eat it on chips, on fish, on chicken, on tortillas.... whatever you like. It just seem to go with anything you would eat on a hot summer's night.

Thanks, Melissa!

Enjoy!!







No comments: