05 August 2012

The GreenTeeth Mystery

Mmmm, sounds like a good Bobbsey Twin Mystery book title!

Okay, tell me friends and family, when does this:
+ plus this: (plantain)

(another idea of what plantain looks like...)
= this????? :


Answer: When the wasps are being aggressive! I got stung and grabbed some plantain that was growing by the horse stall. I chewed it up, spit out the juice and applied the polstice.
(This is an OIT....Old Indian Trick) taught to me by Kote Lotah, Shaman/Smoke Doctor of the Chumash Native Americans, Southern California.
Ahhh, the mystery of the green teeth is solved! The chewed pieces tend to stick to your teeth but it tastes like grass and works so well that you won't mind if your toothbrush is tucked away safely at home!

Plantain draws out the poison from the bites/stings, etc. It works for mosquito bites, bee stings, snake bites, and who knows what else!
Jack got stung this evening and yelled, "Sandee, get the plantain!" I ran out and found some growing wild, chewed it up and put a polstice on his sting. He is fine.

Seriously, no redness, no burning, no swelling. Sting is GONE.

We traveled around the USA twice and I found plantain growing in every campground we stayed in. Some grows HUGE when it gets a lot of water and some is so tiny, it's hard to gather because it doesn't get water. It grows in every school yard I've ever visited!!!

It is also referred to as Englishman's Foot or White Man's Foot  in the broad leaf variety.

Recipe for using as a Healing Salve: In large non-metallic pan place 1lb. of entire Plantain plant chopped, and 1 cup lard, cover, cook down on low heat till all is mushy and green. Strain while hot, cool and use for burns, insect bites, rashes, and all sores. Note: used as night cream for wrinkles.
(Oh yeah, this one is for me!!!)

it was called "The Mother of Herbs."  In Old World tradition, Plantains were used as a remedy for bleeding, cuts, burns, poison ivy, snake bites and inflammations, and a tea made from the seeds was employed to remedy diarrhea, dysentery and bleeding from mucous membranes. 

(Plantain is not related to the cooking banana of the same name.)

The uses go on and on. I know from my Native American friends that parts of the plant are used for diarrhea and others for constipation. It is truly an amazing plant.
Check out this website for more information:







2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow....this is SO cool to know! Sarah's little Daniel is so allergic to wasp/bee stings. It gets all red & puffy. I'm going to tell her about this. Ashley gets eaten by any & all insects too....so this is also good for her to know!

Sandee said...

I was the Dean at a summer camp one year and the yellow jackets lingered around the drinking fountain so the kids were always getting stung. I had such a dry mouth from chewing plantain that I called the Medicine Man and made sure I couldn't overdose on it! He told me to drink more water!