07 May 2010

Healthy Wheat Bread Recipe

This recipe was in the Oct/Nov 1997 issue of Taste of Home magazine. It is the bread I posted a photo of and has a nice light, and slightly sweet taste to it with all whole grains.

* (the recipe calls for all-purpose flour but I use half pastry flour and half whole wheat flour throughout the recipe)

3-4 C all-purpose flour* divided
2 tsp. salt (I used about 3/4 tsp. salt since I'm cutting down on salt)
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1 C water
1/2 C honey
2 TBL. vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 C low fat cottage cheese
4 egg whites
1-1/2 C whole wheat flour*
1/2 C wheat germ
1/2 C old fashioned oats

In large bowl: combine 2 C all-purpose flour*, salt and yeast.
In sauce pan: heat water, honey and oil to 120 - 130 degrees, stir in cottage cheese. Add to flour mixture with egg whites; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat for 3 minutes on medium. (I never use my mixer with bread so I just stirred..)
Add whole wheat flour*, wheat germ, oats and enough of remaining all-purpose flour* to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elasticy about 6-8 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled. (about 1 hour...mine took longer)
Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves. Place in two bread loaf pans coated with non-stick cooking spray. (I use olive oil)
Cover and let rise until doubled - about 1 hour.
Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. (Ooops...I forgot to do this!)
Remove from pans, cool on wire rack.

2 comments:

Soggibottom said...

I love to try something new.. Going to try this one. Thanks x x x

Sandee said...

It really is a tasty bread. If you use the all-purpose (white) flour, it will be even lighter. We try to only use the whole grains. Let me know if you do try it and how it turned out for you.